So, my web designer says I have to write an “about me” section to show my credentials and why what I have to say is worth listening to.
But Extreme Writing works – it builds ideation and enthusiasm while building fluency. If I had every degree in the world – that wouldn’t make me right. If I had held every important job in the world – that wouldn’t make me right. Extreme Writing is right…because it works.
Still – only to humour my web designer, who’s a great guy…here’s some stuff about me.
The Work of Life
I’ve been a teacher at both elementary and secondary levels – but currently my teaching ideas are for grade 4-8.
In reverse order, I’ve been a District Administrator for Professional and Community Services ( over 20 years – yikes!) in a district with 30,000 students.
I’ve been a consultant for 3 years to the Ministry of Education developing curriculum
K-12 (British Columbia has a centralized education system.) Our offices were in St. Ann’s Academy a former convent and all girls’ Catholic school. We had
an actual historic chapel built in 1859.
I’ve been a Humanities Department head in a secondary school and a vice-principal in an elementary school – but not a principal, so I don’t give advice on how to be a principal. Tough job!
I have a ton of energy, so while having a career and having a family (husband Wayne, son Jonathan, daughter-in-law Jesse, grandkids Max and Charlotte), I’ve written books – and given lots of workshops. We also travel a lot – and have visited 66 countries and counting.
I read a lot – fiction, non-fiction, tons of children’s books, books about studies that have been done – anywhere – not just education studies. I’m hugely eclectic. Only I don’t like sad books – well, or violent books – but everything else is open season.
And, I’ve always been a writer – with my trusty fountain pen (and of course a computer.) I love to bring ideas to life.
I’m an info pack rat too – I collect interesting studies and quotes – mainly in education.
That’s me…and yet not – if you know what I mean. All of us are a lot more than a few words on a page. (And my upbringing says bragging isn’t nice.)
The Stuff I’ve Published
- The Power of Extreme Writing (ASCD)
- Co-author on a Language Arts series, Bridges (Prentice Hall)
- Project head and the author for The French Idea Box – currently published as Carte Blanche (Addison Wesley)
- Author of Shhh! Canadian Scientists and Inventors Rule! – an ABC picture book
- The Indispensable Binder (to put all your documents in)
- How Hard Can It Be? (Charterhill Press)
- Over 30 teacher units
- 4 Travelling Festivals – Science Jam, Science Alley, the Math Arcade, and Down the Time Tunnel with Books
- The Workshop Organizers’ Little Red Book (Scholastic)
- I’m Spelling Now! (A spelling list organizer for primary students)
Bonkers (Preschool Literacy Activities) Langley Advance
- Governor General’s Flight to Freedom Literacy Award (a national award)
- AMTEC Outstanding Achievement in Media (for my project on videos for parents to help students with math and science at home.) (a national award)
- Canadian Library Association Award of Merit (for my project Building a Community of Readers)
- Ma Murray Award for Service to the Community ( from the BC Association of Newspaper Publishers for Bonkers – a one-year literacy partnership with the Langley Advance News).